Back in August, I read for the umpteenth time Ephesians 2:10-"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God has ordained that we should walk in them." I've been quite aware of late that what has been impressed upon my heart as my works to others right now, not only amongst co-workers but also others outside of work, is peacemaking. In my journal a few weeks ago I lamented that this role is akin to being a "referee" as I've tried to mitigate varying levels of opinion and frustration of individuals. But recently I've been more aware of that preparation the Lord had for me in this season for these particular works...and who am I to argue? So in my conversations AFTER the heated meetings or amongst the group discussions, I've been aiming to make peace, to not co-sign frustrations and negative opinions but rather to shift perspective, dial back the intensity level, give other considerations, calm, soothe, and ease. I don't do this perfectly but I'm trying my best.
I continue to study the gospel of John (with a few detours here and there) and today's chapter and verse was 14:27-"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." That can be several blog posts but I want to focus on one thing. I believe I've shared this before but the Greek for "peace" used here and many places within the New Testament means, among other things, "to join/to set at one again". I LOVE this, that the peace that Jesus leaves to us as a gift to accept (our choice!) is something that brings all our scattered pieces back together when we are falling apart. When our peace has been disrupted and our minds are all over the place, Jesus' peace sets our hearts and minds at one again and restores us to wholeness. How awesome is that!? It IS indeed the same "peace that passes all understanding" that is referred to in Philippians 4:7. Amen and amen. I chewed on this for a bit.
As I went about my morning and I thought about returning to work this week and wondered where my peacemaking works might be needed, I thought about that word--"peacemaker", which of course I borrowed from the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God." Did the "set at one again" apply to this role also?
It DOES! The word "peacemaker" used in that verse is rooted in the same word for peace. How cool...As I thought about that, I pictured the aftermath of a meeting and how some folks are fractured off from our team as a whole. Or how some members refuse to join into the whole, silo off together, and create division. I see the works and role of peacemaker, at least for now in this season, to aim to bring those parts back together and set our teams at one again, giving glory to God in the process.
It was such an affirmation to read that but challenging as well. I'm thankful for the nudge and insight from the Holy Spirit to reveal this but it also has given me a very careful consideration to make sure I do not contribute to anything divisive or negative. I also realize that some people just don't like peacemakers and get irritated that you won't join in the party of negativity they are throwing about so-n-so or thus-n-such. Something to keep in mind for sure as I humbly accept the works created before I even was, and cherish the fact that they are "good".

No comments:
Post a Comment