Sunday, March 15, 2020

No worries here...

I just spent time going through this blog trying to find the first time I blogged on this passage but I can't find it so hence--a renewed look!

A few weeks ago my pastor put a post on Facebook asking people to make a short video about their favorite Bible verse. I don't have a favorite but there are some "go to"s that I hold dear. Unfortunately I procrastinated and someone else posted about the verse I was going to=Philippians 4:6-7. 
My pastor preached years ago using this version for verse 6:

"Don't worry about anything. Pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for what He's done". 

I have shared that version with countless kids and staff over the last few years and it remains one of my go to verses. When I start getting into my head too much, begin to get anxious over anything at all, or start to see a fellow believer fall apart, I get a definite nudge from the Spirit reminding me of the truth of this verse. 

The Coronavirus has been on my radar for a few weeks, back when it was the 4th or 5th story on Good Morning America. When you are a fundraiser for a non-profit, you pause on certain things. It did not cause any worry or anxiety in me, even as the story began to unfold and moved higher up the schedule of news stories and the possible impact of what this could mean became more clear. It still doesn't and that's because I've continued to say this verse over and over and to use it as a sword when the potential for angst in thoughts or feelings enters my mind. Nope. Not gonna happen. I've even gone so far as to break it down like this:

Don't worry about anything. (Lord, I am going to obey You in this. You're telling me not to worry so I'm not going to. I will be obedient.)

Pray about everything. (Lord, I am going to talk with You through this just as I do with pretty much everything. I can bring all aspects of this to You and You will hear me. So I am going to pray to You instead of yapping to everyone else about it, saturating myself with the news, or scrolling endlessly through social media). 

Tell God what You need...(Lord, I need to have a peace and a steadfastness about this situation. I need to not co-sign other people's panic, speculate on possible outcomes, or concern myself with what is out of my control. I need to glorify You through this and trust You.)

And thank Him for what He's done. (Lord, You've brought me through difficult times before. You've provided for my needs when times have been lean. You've grown my faith over the last few years to better receive this event.)

The best part of all this is verse 7=what happens when you follow verse 6: "And the peace of God that passes all understanding will guard your heart and mind through Christ Jesus". Eirene is Greek for peace used here. The definition is "to join or bind together that which has been separated" or "to set at one again". It makes me think of Humpty Dumpty falling off the wall in a panic and becoming, as my beloved Pop would say, "scrambled eggs", but Jesus is able to put us back together again. He is able, with His perfect peace, to set our minds back at one, at wholeness, instead of being scattered and all over the place. What a beautiful truth! 

As of this writing, I have been ordered to work from home until further notice. Praise God I am employed and even have that option, as many do not. Our Sleep Out fundraiser scheduled for March 27th is still on--we'll provide a virtual experience. Even though we'll likely lose money on it, thank goodness we have the option to still have it even though it's not ideal. My husband's restaurant is still open but MGM corporation, which runs Borgata, is beginning to close them. Mark barely made the money he usually does on a Saturday night and my sister in law who works in one of the spas there has been laid off until further notice as they have closed the spas and nightclubs. Praise God we've been through months long layoffs before and have some "fat" we can cut to make the bills. 

Two aspects of this ordeal that have driven me nuts over the last weeks are the constant barrage of "What if's" and "They say"s. It's tough but I do my best not to use either. I'd prefer to listen to the Way rather than "They". And the Way tells me, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God". 





No comments:

Post a Comment