I did not grow up with big fantasies about how my wedding day would be. Oddly, I initially thought I'd be a June bride as my mom had been. As I grew older and learned to detest humidity and the like, I opted for October, my favorite month and full of everything awesome, even though I had no one with whom to wed.
When Mark and I became engaged (a mere 4 months after dating for the second go-around), I was determined to keep things simple. Mom and Pop were footing the bill and Mom had said I could have whatever I wanted except for a horse drawn carriage (um, NO). I only had a few musts--Married in the morning, morning clothes for the guys, pumpkins as décor, and fall leaves instead of rose petals as I walked down the aisle.
I was nothing close to a Bridezilla and I tried hard not to trouble Mark with any of the minutia. My dress was bought a year in advance (on sale!), reception place booked, nix the shnazzy photographer for my 1st grade student teacher that did weddings on the side, I'd do my own hair and makeup...keep it simple.
And, truthfully, it was. I've just come in from spending the last few hours outside reading (Football Widow that I am today=no problem!) and today is the carbon copy of what October 11, 1997 was--crisp morning, warm day, no humidity, blue skies=perfect. Everyone showed up on time, everyone behaved, and we started on time. I didn't sob through my vows, we didn't drop a ring, and nothing went amiss.
My flowers were simple--daisies and eucalyptus, maybe a carnation or two. Mom made my veil. My jewelry came out of some catalog that was mailed to me after I registered at JC Penny. Our rings cost about $75 total--simple gold bands which we got at a discount for opening a Penny's charge we haven't used since.
If anything ever happened to Mark, I don't think I'd get married again--I've already been a wife and I don't believe I'd want to be a wife to another. But I do envy (ooo!) the advent of digital film and would get married again (maybe for our 25th???) just for that! Mark and I got our wedding proofs almost 2 months after the wedding and had no money left to get reprints=OH WELL! It hasn't made any difference.
I don't think anyone was "doing bubbles" at weddings back in our time...otherwise I probably would have opted for that instead of birdseed. We ended up with birdseed in the back of my car (which was our "We're married!" car=no limo!) for YEARS!
It truly was a great day...the cross atop the cake (appropriately purchased by my sister-in-law who also made our cake) has been a testament to that. I don't remember anything really going wrong except that the fruit cup was weak--oooo! I can account for the ups and downs over the years with us for sure...but the bottom line is exactly what I posted on Facebook today--"We're still having fun...and you're still the one!" Here's to many more!




No comments:
Post a Comment