We picked up the bishop and began walking through the streets of Philly. After we'd checked in at the federal building, Father Mike took us here and there, showing us around. He introduced me as his "friend from Covenant House". I got a bit of a feeling--not sure what kind but not a bad one--when we'd encounter anyone and people would smile and say, "Hi, Father". Granted, he works there, but he was also wearing his collar, as was the bishop. It wasn't just an acknowledgement of "Mike So-n-so", it was the acknowledgement of the title/office/occupation--whatever you call it.
Father Steve decided not to wear his collar after the Catholic church scandals began to become more prevalent years ago. If I remember correctly, he was in a store one time with it on and people were allegedly giving him funny looks, as if all priests did horrible things. Even though he is Orthodox, the collar is the same. Not wanting to be judged outright, he dressed like a regular person and then had to identify himself as a priest once he met someone. It always seemed to surprise people when he introduced himself as "Father" Stephen.
After our tour, we were walking down Market Street where there was all kind of humanity. Suddenly, a disheveled looking woman rushed up to the bishop and began to wail, "Oh, Father bless me! Bless me! I need a blessing! Please!" The bishop didn't hesitate but gently placed his hand on her forehead and began to give her a blessing, right in the middle of Market Street with people all around. I watched in amazement, as I thought it was a beautiful thing. Only, it turned out she didn't want that kind of a blessing--she wanted money (HA!) So he offered to get her something to eat and they went on their way. I said good bye to Father Mike and we parted, but the image of the bishop blessing that woman stayed with me. She saw the collar, she identified him with "religion", "charity", perhaps "one that would help"...if he hadn't been wearing a collar, she likely would not have approached him or at least not to ask for a "blessing".
I've mentioned before that I wish Christians could have a uniform. If I could wear a habit and not be a nun I probably would, even just to identify myself as a "religious" person. Although I wear a cross every day, so do a lot of people merely for decoration. I thought later to myself that I would have been happy to give that woman a blessing in the middle of the street, but she would never have known that. I guess I could wear a sign that said, "Blessings here!" or "I'm a Christian!" but then someone would record it, out it on Youtube, and call me crazy. An old song had the chorus, "And they'll know we are Christian by our love, by our love...yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love"...I get that...why I want something more obvious I'm not sure. I just know the "power of the collar" kinda got to me.
Yet...I was talking on the phone to a co-worker a couple of weeks ago. She was about to do something quite public and important and was having a case of self-doubt. As she went on and on, she kept saying, "So just pray for me", "Please pray that I..." until finally I said, "How about if I pray for you right now?" She agreed and so I did, right on the phone. Afterwards she thanked me and said something like, "You're the one people would go to for that. No one asks me to pray for them--they ask you". So maybe I'm doing something right after all in identifying myself as a believer. I still want a uniform though...
Well...maybe if it were lavender...eh...


No comments:
Post a Comment