When I logged onto Facebook Saturday morning I was nearly blinded by a barrage of rainbow-covered faces, those of friends that were celebrating the Supreme Court's decision to make marriage equality constitutional. Apparently, an app was created that allowed you to have your profile picture a washed in rainbow colors. As I scrolled down, reading the comments of jubilation from many, I was surprised (or perhaps not) to see how many "friends" of mine supported this landmark decision. Even more so, the anti-Christian comments were quite harsh. Among the many posts, I found only 2--one from my pastor and one from a former one--that gently but firmly spoke out against the ruling. I chose to post nothing.
As I was cleaning the house and listening to music, the Crucifixion song from Godspell came on. Towards the end, when traditionally the cast is carrying the crucified Christ through the audience, led by a candle holder, the refrain, "Long live God" struck a chord. I recalled decades ago being at West Chester University while the band played this song during the halftime show. If I remember correctly, when they reached this part of the song, the band began to walk backwards, everyone singing. It was quite powerful. (I dare say I doubt any secular institution of learning would be able to get away with this today, even though one could argue it's just a song from Broadway). How far we've come. I pushed the vacuum with tears streaming down my face and sang along with gusto.
This morning I decided to pull an old devotional off the shelf for variety. As I opened to the blurb for June 28th, the title shouted, "A Judge Who Rules". Below are a few excerpts:
"In our day the word judge has only one meaning--one who rules in a court and decides the merits of a case according to the relevant points of the law. In the word of God there is another type of judge. In the book of Judges, the Hebrew word translated "judge" means "to put right" and then "rule". We cannot put things right and rule: the Lord Jesus Christ alone can do this. It is not even in line with His purpose and grace to do this now, for when He puts right it will be with a "rod of iron". Our business is to serve the living and true God...He, the Lord Jesus Christ, the righteous Judge, will come to put right and rule. He alone can do it and He can do it alone".
I am thankful to live in this country and for all the freedoms doing so affords. I am thankful that we have a system in place for elected officials (which the people choose) to decide and rule on freedoms, even if I don't agree with those decisions. Although we desperately need a Theocracy, it's not going to happen in America as culture sprints further and further away from the Truth. I take comfort, however, in knowing that I serve the True Judge, the Righteous Judge, and that the group of people that decided that anyone can marry anyone are failable human beings. I do fear the slippery slope this may create and the doors it may open in the future. I saw "Love Wins" posted several times on Facebook...Why not bring back polygamy while we're at it? Can't someone "love" multiple people at the same time and want to marry them? What does this say to adults that "love" children or people that "love" animals? "That's just sick!" "We'd never go that far", some may say...Eh? Did we ever think we'd see Friday, June 26th?
James 4:12-"There is only one Lawgiver and one Judge..."

No comments:
Post a Comment