Yesterday I got all prepared to make donor calls. Just for background, I have a list of every person in 08 zip codes that's given anything to Covenant House since 1987=tens of thousands of names...Sort them by towns I want to focus on, then sort again by certain categories (total amount given, last amount given, have given a one time gift of $__ or more, etc.) Then I get myself all hyped up with words of cheer and a soft goal ("You can do this!" "20 calls in an hour!") I close my door, settle in my chair, and start dialing. Because these folks are already acquainted with Covenant House, it's not s true "cold call". I usually start with a "I'm not calling to ask you for money!" but rather thank them for their giving history and invite them to come to our site. For the Camden area folks, I'm hoping to inspire them to give locally as 99% of these folks send their checks to New York and aren't always aware that there is a site within a half hour from them (and yes, I'm allowed to do this!) 90% of the calls I make result in answering machines or secretaries (if I'm calling a business) so it's rare that I get a live person.
I got one yesterday. A woman answered the phone and I started with my normal intros and invited her to the site. She interrupted me by launching into her current physical infirmities (most of these folks are 70+ years old) and continued to tell me about her sick sister and her sister's friend who she was now responsible to care for. With a twinge of regret she said, "And I'm so sorry that I probably won't be able to give as much as I have been giving because it's expensive to house someone in a care facility...my sister is my first charity now", to which I replied, "Of course!"
Then she says, "You know, I'm glad you called...I have a favor to ask you..." She proceeded to talk about her neighbor who'd recently gotten into an accident and had both his legs broken...only to find out he had cancer...only to find out that his pregnant daughter also had cancer...only to find out that they are going to do a C-section since she's receiving chemo and she has to make a decision about getting radiation treatment..."I've been calling all the churches in the area asking for prayers for them. Will you please pray?" and of course I said I would. "Oh, thank you! Thank you! Again, I'm so sorry I can't give more but please know that I pray for the children every day because I know how precious they are". "Ma'am, you've given enough!" I thanked her for sharing her story and current concerns with me, assured her I would pray, and hung up the phone. I shot a quick text to Fr. Steve asking him to pray also...he responded with "God have mercy" and I knew he'd have these souls written on his prayer list that he keeps in his little notebook.
I was suddenly overcome by something...I spun around in my chair and faced the huge cross I keep on the back wall of my office, closed my eyes, and began to pray for this woman and her neighbors...And it was an overwhelming kind of praying, not just words, not just a general, "Please help", but a deep intercession that came from a place I couldn't pinpoint at the time...I had tears running down my face, I was huffing deep breaths, and just beseeching the Lord to work in the lives of these folks...Then I turned my prayers to other current concerns for a bit...
I left my office and went for a drive to reflect on all this...What had just happened? I did my "talk out loud to God" prayer in the car (I ask a question and then am quiet, trying to listen for the answer...) and it occurred to me that here I was, seeking out this woman to build a relationship to hopefully increase her giving...and she was glad that I called so I could pray for her neighbors...that she even thought to ask ME, a person she'd never met, to pray for people I didn't even know...and then she was so thankful when I said yes...and I actually did it and meant it...I was so humbled by this, so affirmed that my current role is so much more about raising funds and that God will use me in it however He wants. And yesterday, it was to connect with this little old lady, to pray for her and her neighbors, and to, I guess, assure her that when you support a faith based organization, the people who work for it are faith based and of course they will pray for you. That's part of what got me...because I know that isn't the case with everyone...but I'm quite sure this woman thought that --why else would she ask me to pray? If I'd been calling from "Save the Whales" I doubt she would have asked but in her mind "Covenant House=Catholic=people who will pray".
That's what really unraveled me and had me in a contemplative spot for the rest of the day. This woman wanted prayers...I could give them on her behalf and did...I gave something back to her...It was an awesome awareness of being used by the Lord and a huge lesson...worth more than any amount of money I could have raised yesterday. The true work of the work.
I got one yesterday. A woman answered the phone and I started with my normal intros and invited her to the site. She interrupted me by launching into her current physical infirmities (most of these folks are 70+ years old) and continued to tell me about her sick sister and her sister's friend who she was now responsible to care for. With a twinge of regret she said, "And I'm so sorry that I probably won't be able to give as much as I have been giving because it's expensive to house someone in a care facility...my sister is my first charity now", to which I replied, "Of course!"
Then she says, "You know, I'm glad you called...I have a favor to ask you..." She proceeded to talk about her neighbor who'd recently gotten into an accident and had both his legs broken...only to find out he had cancer...only to find out that his pregnant daughter also had cancer...only to find out that they are going to do a C-section since she's receiving chemo and she has to make a decision about getting radiation treatment..."I've been calling all the churches in the area asking for prayers for them. Will you please pray?" and of course I said I would. "Oh, thank you! Thank you! Again, I'm so sorry I can't give more but please know that I pray for the children every day because I know how precious they are". "Ma'am, you've given enough!" I thanked her for sharing her story and current concerns with me, assured her I would pray, and hung up the phone. I shot a quick text to Fr. Steve asking him to pray also...he responded with "God have mercy" and I knew he'd have these souls written on his prayer list that he keeps in his little notebook.
I was suddenly overcome by something...I spun around in my chair and faced the huge cross I keep on the back wall of my office, closed my eyes, and began to pray for this woman and her neighbors...And it was an overwhelming kind of praying, not just words, not just a general, "Please help", but a deep intercession that came from a place I couldn't pinpoint at the time...I had tears running down my face, I was huffing deep breaths, and just beseeching the Lord to work in the lives of these folks...Then I turned my prayers to other current concerns for a bit...
I left my office and went for a drive to reflect on all this...What had just happened? I did my "talk out loud to God" prayer in the car (I ask a question and then am quiet, trying to listen for the answer...) and it occurred to me that here I was, seeking out this woman to build a relationship to hopefully increase her giving...and she was glad that I called so I could pray for her neighbors...that she even thought to ask ME, a person she'd never met, to pray for people I didn't even know...and then she was so thankful when I said yes...and I actually did it and meant it...I was so humbled by this, so affirmed that my current role is so much more about raising funds and that God will use me in it however He wants. And yesterday, it was to connect with this little old lady, to pray for her and her neighbors, and to, I guess, assure her that when you support a faith based organization, the people who work for it are faith based and of course they will pray for you. That's part of what got me...because I know that isn't the case with everyone...but I'm quite sure this woman thought that --why else would she ask me to pray? If I'd been calling from "Save the Whales" I doubt she would have asked but in her mind "Covenant House=Catholic=people who will pray".
That's what really unraveled me and had me in a contemplative spot for the rest of the day. This woman wanted prayers...I could give them on her behalf and did...I gave something back to her...It was an awesome awareness of being used by the Lord and a huge lesson...worth more than any amount of money I could have raised yesterday. The true work of the work.

No comments:
Post a Comment